I know you have invested a lot of time, money and energy. I know you have told everyone what your mission is and don’t want to disappoint them. I know how hard it is to let go.
Consider this – Is your initial idea still valid. Is it actually what clients want. Is it worth spending more time on knowing these things aren’t true anymore.
How much is it costing you to hang on?
Many of the biggest companies in the world today started as something else, until they changed their mind and pivoted to something else.
- YouTube was a video dating site.
- Twitter was a podcasting network named Odeo.
- Instagram was a confusing mobile app called Burbn that nobody used.
- Flickr was an online role-playing game.
- Groupon was an online fundraising site for social good projects.
- Nokia was once a paper mill company that sold rubber boots.
- Nintendo was a manufacturer of playing cards
Don’t be afraid to change your mind, in fact I recommend doing it as often as required, until it resonates with you and your clients.
You’ll know when you are on the right track, until then experiment.