When I ask NEW Entrepreneurs what their goal is in going into Business, invariably they say to make a million dollars.
Money is a means to an END
When I ask the same question of a VETERAN Entrepreneur the answers are always clearer.
- “I want to be able to go on HOLIDAYS for 3 months of the year”
- “I want to be able to pick up my kids from School EVERY day”
- “I want to be PERSONALLY debt free by the time I’m 40″
Money WON’T be what makes you happy, its what you can then do with that money that will ultimately FULFIL you. The CLEARER you can be about the things you would like to be able to do (and I mean crystal clear) the more likely you will ACHIEVE your goals.
The KEY to this success is to determine what you definite major purpose is and then to work BACKWARDS to make it happen. Lets use the “I want to be able to pick up my kids from School every day” example.
- To do this means you can ONLY work during school hours ie 9.30 to 2.30 (5 hours per day)
- To go from your current hours down to 5 means you will need to DELEGATE more.
- To delegate more you will need to develop PROCESSES to enable your staff.
- To ENABLE your staff you will need to give them responsibility and ownership of their decisions without having to check with you.
- Start by delegating the small tasks and PROGRESSIVELY make them bigger (sometimes scary)
You get the gist, work backwards from the goal and START working towards it today.
What is your DEFINITE MAJOR PURPOSE in Business and in Life?