I bet you are guilty of more than one of these.
In fact I am willing to wager that you are culpable of many. Any of which alone could derail your efforts and combining just a few will most certainly will be hurting you.
Here are 11 of the most common mistakes I continue to see:
- Targeting too broad an audience (No everyone is your target)
- Overuse of technical language (you are confusing your audience)
- One size fits all (no it does not)
- Asking too early in the relationship (ask me out for coffee first)
- Expecting too much attention (earn it)
- Spreading too thin across multiple platforms (or not enough)
- Inconsistent in execution (would you invoice twice a year?)
- Not using any system (random acts of well intended marketing)
- Rollercoaster Marketing (stop start, go big, do nothing)
- No followup (this one still freaks me out)
- Looking for a silver bullet (hint: it does not exist)
If you answered “yes this is me” to more than a couple you are working harder for less return than you deserve.
Marketing is not an art, or a black hole if you start treating it like any other division of your business; systems, precesses, accountability and sufficient funding.